Friday, 14 January 2011

Tonsillectomy (Day 3)

Having done my homework before this operation by Googling everything to do with having your tonsils removed, I knew a tonsillectomy was going to be painful but I never imagined it would be this painful; so painful in fact that yesterday I cried while eating my dinner.

So painful that I have spent some part of today on Google begging it to tell me when the pain will stop and the fear of bleeding to death will go away.

According to my OH I smell bad. I smell like a bin and this smell isn't just coming from my mouth as expected; it is coming from my pours. Great.

Thankfully Google has confirmed that this is normal and can last for up to three weeks and the reason for the smell, is due to the combination of medications as well as the nasty white coating currently living within my mouth at the back of my throat which is a sign of the wound healing. Although I can not smell myself I can imagine how bad I must smell if the taste in my mouth is anything to go by. I have brushed my teeth three times today and yet it still tastes bad.

Something I apparently missed previously is that the scabs at the back of the throat 'fall off' between 5-10 days after the operation. What?! When they come off they bleed a little as well. Aye?!

Despite smelling bad and having scabs falling off, it does appear that there are a couple of good things to come from this operation; apart from the obvious reason for having this operation to begin with that is.

Before the operation I was (and still am) a diet coke addict. I don't like tea or coffee so would live quite happily on 4-5 cans of diet coke a day with a small glass of water thrown in. However since Tuesday I am on my second 5lt bottle of water and I have yet to have a single can of diet coke or a craving for it either. According to Google it is also quite common to lose between 5-20lbs in weight and considering I planned to lose 2 stones this year to get back to pre-Bobby weight this is a very good thing.

I just hope it does fall off and that it wont stay on me due to bloody water retention.

4 comments:

  1. LOL. In a weird way, you cracked me up :) Hopping over from the blog critique thread at Blog Frog. I will NEVER FORGET that SMELL!!! I had to have my tonsils out when I was 18, a month before leaving for college. I was literally 'down' for the entire month. My parents did not think I was going to be able to go to college on time. But I did, with a sore throat, fear of swallowing, and lack of appetite. I don't think I could have drank Diet Coke if I'd wanted to. I developed this crazy FEAR of anything going down my throat & touching it. I lived on mashed/soft foods & water. And I'm not a water girl ;) But that smell is something I'll never forget. Something I don't ever want to smell again! I will give you this... it did take a month to truly heal. So just rest up as much as you can & good luck!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. lol thanks for the comment Crystal, its nice to know Im not the only one to smell out there :)
    I dont blame you for having a fear, I am so fearful of bleeding there are lots of scary stories out there although its very uncommon but you always read the worst dont you. Thanks for the luck.

    ReplyDelete
  3. aw poor you and wish you best you health.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't remember the smell. I was 21 when I had mine removed, so that was 13 years ago... what was the smell? I had the white coating on my tongue that ended up being thrush. I had to go to the doctor to get medicine to fix that. Good luck! It is so much harder for an adult to go through this than it is a child!!

    ReplyDelete