Wednesday, 9 February 2011
The Loss of a Friend
Sitting on the bus on the way home from work tonight I was going over this blog in my mind and it occurred to me that the only time I really post is when I am sad or when I need to vent.
Even while pregnant with Bobby, the majority of the posts are moans, rants and blah blah's; sooo I made a pact with myself that when I got home, I would start to post more about everyday good stuff; that was until an hour into arriving home we received a phone call from a friend.
Tragically one of my OH's oldest friends was found dead this morning on the sofa by his Mother. He had been a slave to alcoholism for a number of years and had been in and out of several rehab centres for the last couple of those years trying to kick the addiction.
As harsh as it may read now, it was often said within our group that he was a dead man walking simply because none of us could ever believe that he would combat this nasty nasty addiction and unfortunately my prediction that he would not make another year was correct.
Despite those words said, the fact that he has died has come as a huge shock which is surrounded by a consuming feeling of sadness that his life has ended this way at such a young age.
Lee was only 40 years old and he was a lovely lovely man who underneath the drink desperately wanted to have a family of his own. Yes at times the drink made him do things which we frowned upon but isn't that why it is called an addiction ...
What makes it seem even more unreal is the fact that he has died from a product which is accessible to buy in every Supermarket and corner shop all over the world and in the UK alone it is possible to buy a can of lager for as little as 29p. Drugs have nothing on alcohol and yet one is deemed illegal and the other brings in billions of pounds in tax to our Government.
His passing is yet another sad waste of a young life and a reminder that not every person dies from old age surrounded by their great grandchildren having lived a long and happy life. His death also sadly means that yet another Mother has to bury her child.
RIP Lee, I hope you're spirit is now free and I am sure Bobby would have already found you and made you feel at home. xox
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



I'm very loss for the loss of your friend. I also feel terrible for his mother that she had to find her child dead that way. I'll be praying for the peace of his family and friends.
ReplyDelete((hugs))
my condolences. ((((HUGS)))
ReplyDeleteThank you ladies. I feel so sorry for his Mum. She is in her 60s and will now be living on her own. I cant begin to imagine what events took place the moment she found him and afterwards. Something she will never forget. xox
ReplyDelete